Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Poppyseeds & Possums

I settled on the Cook's Illustrated recipe for Lemon Poppyseed Muffins. As with everything else I've made in the cookbook, it was an awesome recipe. I made a fatal mistake and I'm pretty sure the poppyseeds were rancid :O. No one has gotten sick and the muffins tasted good, so I guess all's well that ends well. The batter was yummy enough to eat without baking it. Using mini-bundt cake pans is harder than it looks. I don't know how you get the muffins to sit flat without slicing off the bottom.

After the last batch came out of the oven, I found a possum in a tree near my front door. I tried to scare it away, but it was quite content to stay put - despite me yelling menacing things like "shoe!" (or is that "shew!" or "shoo") and swatting the tree with a broom. Now I know what that sound out my window has been and whose been leaving all those half-eaten berries on my doorstep. I don't like possums. They look like big rats.