Sunday, January 09, 2005

Some Enchanted Evening

One of my coworkers asked me what my favorite type of music was. It pretty much comes down to love songs and I prefer male singers. I promised to come up with the best three love songs of all time. On the trail of one of them, I looked for versions of "Some Enchanted Evening" from South Pacific. I am not big on musicals, but I love that french guy singing to Shirley Jones (right?) with the ocean in the background. I guess after all the tsunami coverage of once idyllic places in rubble, that kind of seascape is not so peaceful. What a metaphor for love too. I am such an upper.

The iTunes music store had some disturbing renditions. #1 Bernadette Peters. I don't have as much talent in my whole body as she does in her one little pinky finger and all that, but gag me. Gag me like James Lipton gags me. #2 Frank. Not bad, but not what I'm looking for. #3 Perry Como. No. Too smooth and not in the right way. Cool background music for Goodfellas II maybe - a hit scene or something. #4 The Temptations. This reminds me of one of those extended PBS ads for one of their video sets where they bring out people you thought were dead to sing their old hits and there are all these people getting googly eyes in the audience. They have two versions, one labled Fiji Island Mix. No! #5 WIllie Nelson. OMG. This must be from the infamous album he did to pay off his tax debt. "Some enchanted evenin'" with harmonica. Nein!

And then I found it. Ezio Pinza. So the sexy french man was italian. He still sounds just as good.

I realize I have the soundtrack to South Pacific on 8 track tape.

No comments: