Saturday, October 16, 2004

Fish Sperm Crepes

I bought an interesting cookbook at a recent library cookbook sale, Unmentionable Cuisine. I like to read while I'm eating, but this is *not* a book you can do that with. Every time I think I've found the most disgusting recipe, I find one worse. This is the current gross out of all time: Fish Sperm Crepes from France (Pannequets aux laitances):

Spread unsweetened crepes with a mixture of chopped fish sperm (OMG!) and mushrooms (ya, I've seen this trick with escargot before) bound with a fish-based bechamel sauce. Roll them, place in a buttered dish, spinkle with grated Parmesan and melted butter, and heat in a 350 degree oven until the top is brown.

Just for fun, I tried opening the book at random to see if there were any off pages - not so gross. Nope. Pages 232-233 start with the basic prep for intestines with their Chicken Organs in Blood Sauce, roll through a few testicle recipes and finish with some more blood recipes.

I have had the misfortune of eating a fried turkey testicle, but that is a story for another post.

No comments: